Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Oh hey :)
I have sooo much to say, and not enough time/organized thoughts to get it all out!
First of all, I love you all. TONS. I hope you know that. It's super important to me that you realize this. If you're reading this, please know that Sister Bush loves you. Seriously.
What I learned this week:
So there's this one song that we sang a few times back home, it's a Jenny Phillips one. We Seek After These Things. The chorus says,
"Our mighty God has given us so much good to find, there's just no room for darkness in our lives."
I know that most of us do more of our fair share of complaining. But seriously, there is 0 space for darkness and bitterness in our lives. Not today, not tomorrow. Never. If you find yourself harboring ill-feelings, I would encourage you to find a way to let go of that. Completely. Not to tell you how to live your life or anything.
Mommy once reminded me that life isn't something that we ought to shy away from and avoid. But rather that the life we live is a buffet in which we choose what we want on our plates. There are so many AMAZING things that we can choose to have on our plates. Whyyyyy do we always choose to put things on our plate that we don't even like? And not that I'm encouraging you to waste food or anything, but GET RID OF WHATEVER YOU DONT WANT ON YOUR PLATE. Sorry, I'm kind of on a soap box this week, aren't I?
In a meeting this week we were given a training by some other sisters. They read us a really powerful quote from Elder Holland, and asked us the question "What do you think was in Elder Holland's heart when he said this to the missionaries he was addressing?" Honestly, I can't remember what the quote was. But I remember what it made me feel. I remember that his counsel felt a lot like when you try to tell your friends/cousins in middle/high school that THEY WILL BE OKAY. That despite the he-said she-said's and the "drama" and the loneliness, THEY WILL BE OKAY. I'm sure that's how parents feel when they're trying to help their kids... Hm... But no matter what they say or how perfectly they word/time it, it won't mean anything until much later usually....
This week I found myself housing negative thoughts and ill-feelings. Left and right. My Debbie Downer bifocals and my Negative Nancy contacts were on double duty this week. I share this not because I want you all to know that Sister Bush has been purified of all things unholy. Not true. This week I have personally experienced the freeing power of letting go of grudges that I have no business holding in the first place. My heart has been SOFTENED. Melted, even...  How? Honestly, I couldn't tell you specifics. I wish I could.
WE AVE 0 SPACE FOR BITTERNESS IN OUR LIVES.
I'm not sure if I'm making any sense, or if I'm just sounding overly-harsh.
"I recently received a letter from a woman who reported having endured great suffering in her life. A terrible wrong, which she did not identify but alluded to, had been committed against her. She admitted that she struggled with feelings of great bitterness. In her anger, she mentally cried out, “Someone must pay for this terrible wrong.” In this extreme moment of sorrow and questioning, she wrote that there came into her heart an immediate reply: “Someone already has paid.”
If we are not aware of what the Savior’s sacrifice can do for us, we may go through life carrying regrets that we have done something that was not right or offended someone. The guilt that accompanies mistakes can be washed away. If we seek to understand His Atonement, we will come to a deep reverence for the Lord Jesus Christ, His earthly ministry, and His divine mission as our Savior."
The Reason for Hope, Boyd K. Packer, Oct 2014 General Conference
 Reconsider your Negative Nancy thoughts, okay? I love you all. Again.
xo, Sister Bush



No comments:

Post a Comment